Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Meet Jonuel Negron, Author

Jonuel Negron is a horror and fantasy writer from Land O Lakes, FL. The goals of each story are to both entertain and terrify readers who brave to read them. He is a veteran who has served proudly, a father of five wonderful children, and a husband to a loving wife.

He has just released Mid Harvest Road, the prequel to his Jacob Kearns Series. For more information, check out Mid Harvest Road on Amazon. You can also learn more about Jonuel and his work on his Facebook page.

1. Could you give us an overview of the Jacob Kearns Series?

Without giving too much away, it is a horror series based mostly on supernatural encounters that are both by chance and by design. Although the series has many moving parts to it, Jacob Kearns is the protagonist that navigates his way through the series with the most interesting angle for readers to discover.

2. Why did you decide to launch the series by publishing a prequel?

This is probably the most fascinating buildup I could implement to the series as it will actually have two prequels. Again without giving away too much... This first "Mid Harvest Road" short story is based on Sarah Knox, who will be an important returning character. I wanted readers to get a glimpse of how the series storyline can transform in a short 45 minute read. This way potential new readers wouldn't have to invest too much money or time to decide if my series was something they wanted to follow.

The second prequel will be "I Understand," a novella which will set the stage for Book 1 of the series. This can actually be read independently from the "Mid Harvest Road" short story although they both complement each other.

Any reader can decide to start with Book 1 of the series as it is an intricate story arc by itself without having to read the prequels.

3. What are your favorite parts about writing thrillers?

Translating my nightmares. I have been working on this series for two years now without knowing it. Originally, this was not much more than a rag tag collection of notes I had written down after a nightmare or two. In my youth I aspired to be a writer, but life had other plans for me, I guess. Now at the age of 41, several of my friends and family convinced me to take a refresher writing class. I caved under the pressure and began to write my thriller. I can't seem to stop trying to remember every detail of what wakes me up at night.

4. For you as a reader, what makes a book a gripping, suspenseful read?

As a reader the most gripping or suspenseful moments I have always found in most thrillers is how close to home the monsters can be. It is scary enough to read a thriller about the giant sea monster that can pull your boat under the water. It is equally scary to read a thriller about scholar who is a cannibal not limited to water. The distance from the monsters is what I find gripping and suspenseful.

5. What are you currently working on, and is there anything else you'd like readers to know about you and your writing?

I am currently starting Book 2 of the series, although I don't really feel Book 1 is 100% complete. I have this tendency to finish my work and start my next one. Then I will go back to reread my previous work looking for my obvious mistakes and smooth out the rough edges. I have learned from my past mistakes in life that if you are too eager to release something before you are content it is a finished product, well, customers will feel cheated by you. Book 1 is written, but I must be satisfied readers will enjoy the story that I have put together before I send it to my editor.

Thanks, Jonuel!

No comments:

Post a Comment